Monday, April 23, 2012

The 2nd Installment of "Critters"

So I thought I would just throw another quick post out here this week and show you a few more critters we have found in Indo. So let us start with a few caterpillars.

This guy didn't want his picture taken, all my shots turned out blurry except this one.  Beautiful caterpillar, but I got the feeling that those red dots were a big "DO NOT TOUCH" sign.

There is a little caterpillar in this cocoon but that isn't the cool part.  The cool part is the woven net of hair surrounding the cocoon.  This is one talented caterpillar!

Same type of cocoon only the caterpillar has already emerged.

Just another caterpillar.

Oh it's a wooly worm!  Those are nice!  Well I hope you don't have any run ins with this guy I hear that he can be pretty nasty. 

Face to face with a peacock!

I think this was the day I woke up and was 10x my normal size, either that or this was that tiny tree frog I found.


OK so this one doesn't just get a caption it deserves a small story.

As you can see this is a scorpion!  Yup found this guy in our kitchen two days after we moved into our new house.  This was my first encounter with a scorpion so I was kind of taken back for a second as to what to do about it.  It didn't help at all that Jennifer was standing behind me with one long continuous flow of thoughts being verbalized which sounded something like, "Is that a scorpion? Is it really? Seriously? What are we going to do? KILL IT!!!! What are you going to do? How are you going to get it? KILL IT!!!! KILL IT NOW!!!! I'M NOT JOKING!!!! That's not really a scorpion is it? GET IT OUT OF MY HOUSE!!! GREG,  KILL IT!!!"  But my favorite was when she started repeating, "FLUSH IT!! FLUSH IT!! FLUSH IT!!..."

Since I am the man of the house I had to be cool, calm, and collected right?  Oh and I had to at least act like I knew what I was doing , even though my thought pattern was very similar to what Jennifer was verbalizing. So I did the most manly thing I could think of and grabbed my pliers!  Now my thought was that I would just sneak up behind it and grab it by the tail since that is the dangerous part.  Looking back this was a stupid idea.  So as I started my approach all of a sudden that scorpion seemed to get a bit bigger and my pliers seemed to get much smaller.  I ended up opting for the broom and dust pan with a three foot handle approach.  Ended up doing the manly thing and swept it into the dust pan, then I "FLUSHED IT!!" 

Who knew that scorpions can't swim!  Anyway I was pretty proud of myself for saving my sweet wife in such a way that all other scorpions have thus far been too terrified to enter our house for fear of meeting the same fate.

2 comments:

  1. Chrissy and Daniel MooreMay 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

    The scorpion story cracked me up! I hope you guys are doing well! Can't wait to keep reading the updates now that you are in your kampung!

    In our prayers,

    Chrissy and Daniel Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You are a great writer. : )

    ReplyDelete