Friday, May 10, 2013

Pic a Day- #10 The coffee experience thus far...

Kopi Tubruk "mud" from the bottom of the cup
Since Greg is not a coffee drinker (he says it stunts his growth- ha!)  I get to tell you of my coffee experience here in Indonesia.  Because of my dad's great love for coffee, I was raised on it...well, at least the smell of it. I still don't think anything beats the smell of coffee. I didn't really start drinking it till after college, and started with "fru-fru" sweet concoctions, but now I am at the point where I can really appreciate a well roasted, well brewed black cup of coffee.
Coffee is a specialty here. And Iike I mentioned in yesterday's post- there are several plantations near us. That is where this picture was taken. Greg & I took a retreat last July, and chose a coffee plantation as the destination (a 30 min drive from us.) I was looking forward to the coffee experience...but I was rather "thrown off" by my encounter.
You see, I think coffee has so much to do with the palate, or their personal taste preference. And I think mine has a ways to go before I adapt to the most popular Indonesian style of coffee. What you often get when you order coffee here is Kopi Tubruk (click here to see what I mean)
I just haven't gotten used to it yet. I think my palate has been brought up in too many a Starbucks. But also with the baristas & roasters that have come into my life, such as Harden Coffee , I have become more spoiled. But I do have hope that my palate will adapt, and that I may crave a Kopi Tubruk someday,  and not mind the grinds that get stuck in my teeth, or the heartburn that comes on quickly after a cup. I have some Indonesian friends who love it- so I am ready, like a student eager to learn from them! But I may have to take it in stride- until then I am glad that Starbucks is only 2 hrs away, and that Tess brought me some Harden Coffee when she visited!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I miss kopi susu! I try to make a substitute for it here, but just not the same.

    ReplyDelete