Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cravings

So over the past few weeks I (Greg) have found myself feeling quite pregnant at times.  No I am not gaining a ton of weight due to a little person growing inside me, and not I am not going to the bathroom every 5 seconds.  I am having a ton of cravings though!

In conversation with some friends of ours here we found that usually the 2-3 month mark of being in country is when you start to feel it and may begin to experience some culture shock and miss things from home.  Well, having been here for a little more than 3 months now I can officially say they were correct.  I have been missing things from home like crazy recently.  Of course I miss the people and we would love it if any of you would want to come visit, but Skype has really been helping in this area.

Here is a list of things we are CRAVING that Skype can't help:
  • guacamole from Chilli's 
  • an original chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-a, I would even just settle for a nugget at this point
  • those little iced animal cookies that they sell at the Dollar store
  • a good hamburger - not McDonalds, something more like a burger from The Cheesecake Factory 
  • pizza - this could be from most anywhere because I have yet to have any really good pizza  in Indo
(So I need to stop with food I am only torturing myself, but if anyone would want to send any or all of the items mentioned above in a package we would greatly appreciate it. But for now I must move on.)
  • we miss the Vineyard Campbellsville - nothing quite like it anywhere as far as we are concerned
  • we miss the openness of America - saw a family picture of some of our friends the other day and they were just standing on the street and there was plenty of room between their house and the road, and their house and their neighbors. Here you almost feel like one of a million sardines in a tiny can.
  • we miss sitting in a car and driving anywhere.
  • we miss winter and fall - basically anytime you would have to put on at least a light jacket before going outside.
  • we miss driving around the country and seeing most of the people that will read this post.
These are 10 of the things that we have been missing most about America.  I could now proceed to tell the top 10 things that I love about Indonesia, but I don't think I will at this moment, maybe in a later post but not now.  Instead I will just say that we are so thankful to be missing these things because all 10 of them have connections to you.  Maybe it was a special time that was shared and celebrated.  Maybe it was a serious conversation between us, maybe it wasn't.  Maybe it was just a fun get-a-away with lots of smiles and laughter.  Maybe it was after something terrible happened and we just sat together.  Maybe it was just to connect our hearts to your hearts on a slightly deeper level than ever before.

These are the things we are missing at the moment and this is not just ok... this is healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment