Saturday, February 18, 2012

Only In Indo!

So the title may be a little deceiving... you may find these things in places other than in Indonesia, but I haven't.

So this is another one of those posts where I try to show you some things that we may or may not get to to experience everyday here and hope that it produces some kind of reading on your "shock-o-meter".  If you are extremely shocked and/or disgusted by any of the following pictures I would I like to invite you to come for a visit at some point because I would love to see your reaction when you experience these things first hand. 

Shall we start with the "Food and Drink" category.

So this is a fried Gourami.  We also had it grilled but this one looked way cooler when it came out standing up.

Nothing like finding a chicken bone in your pizza!  I guess that is a sign of adjustment when you bite into a bone in a pizza and you aren't surprised.

These are the three stages of "Kopi Luwak".  The jar on the left contains the freshly pooped out beans from an animal known as a Luwak.  The middle jar contains the beans that have been picked out of the poop and cleaned off.  The jar on the right holds the freshly roasted beans that were picked from the poop and washed.  The next step is grinding the beans and brewing your morning cup of java!  Drink up!

So as most of you probably know, if you drink a lot of coffee your going to end up doing some pooping of your own, thus it is only appropriate for our next visit to be to a bathroom.  Here are two shots of different bathrooms that are your typical "squatty potty".

So just in case you are thinking, "How does that work?" I will explain.  You place your feet on the wider parts of the toilet "seat".  Then squat.  The trick is to finish your business before your knees or legs give out, while still managing not to make a mess of your clothes or yourself.  Once finished, you scoop out some water from the "sink" looking thing to the left and flush.  Hope you brought your toilet paper and hand sanitizer!!

This shot is more or less to show you how small the bathrooms are.  Just a note, both of these pictures are from bathrooms at gas stations where we stopped during some traveling.  The best thing is to go before you leave and hope you make it to your destination without having to make a pit-stop.

So I know it's not Christmas anymore, but I still thought this should be in the "Only In Indo" post.  If you don't know why it belongs here then just stare at it for a minute.  It will hit ya.


Ok so I think that is enough for now I can't give away all of my good "Only In Indo" pics in one post, otherwise you may not come back.  So hope you have enjoyed these and I will try to get some more up at another time.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this. I haven't had the REAL Kopi Luwak, but I will someday! Even after the pics. :) I don't know how they do those squatty potties, I was never very successful with them. :) I love you guys and miss Indo every time I see pics..was really wanting some Indo food today and had to settle for Thai curry at Two Sticks. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah.. the ol' squotty potty! :) I enjoyed the privilege of showing our ladies how to flush it properly! Love you pics and SO neat you are there!!! Hugs from Canada.

    ReplyDelete